I was written up at work yesterday for violating the attendance policy. I hate my job, but I need it.I cited unspecified medical issues as the reason I have missed so much work. I’ve sat here debating if I should tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth about the days I have missed.
- I missed a day of work because the busses weren’t running and I didn’t have $30 for the cab fare back and forth to work
- I missed two days of work because I was in so much physical pain that it hurt to even have a blanket over me
- I missed two days of work because I was curled up in a ball on the sofa in the dark clutching a bottle of pills trying to find a reason not to swallow the entire bottle and drift off to sleep forever
- I missed a day of work because I laid in the bathtub covered in my own vomit the morning after I couldn’t find a reason not to swallow an entire bottle of pills
- I missed a day of work because the voices were so overwhelming that I sat on the floor of my bedroom closet and sliced my arm over 100 times with a box cutter to try to make them stop
I hate this job, I really do. I’ve been in the work force for 30 years and I can only think of one job I’ve had that was worse than this, but I need an income. I’ve been trying to figure out what to say at work, how much to reveal. I’m pretty sure that I may be protected under the reasonable accommodations clause of the Americans With Disabilities Act. I am however worried of revealing too much of my personal life and being branded as the mentally ill freak, or worse yet the cry baby. I’m frustrated, I’m confused, I’m worried. I don’t know what to do.